Choosing a home to buy is one of the biggest decisions you’ll ever make in your life. That’s why choosing the right real estate professional to work with should be your second biggest decision.
On the surface, it may seem that all real estate agents basically do the same job…but that couldn’t be further from the truth. Just like in all professionals, experience, skills, integrity, professionalism and personality vary greatly from person to person.
Here are five things you should know about any prospective real estate professional you're considering working with:
- Their background. Real estate agents come from all walks of life. While some have been born and bred in real estate, others come from a wide variety of previous careers. Knowing an agent’s background will shed some light on what they may or may not be able to bring to the table.
- How many transactions they closed last year. Whether they work with buyers, sellers or both, find out how many deals your agent closed last year. This will give you a good sense as to their productivity.
- If they’re part of a team. Some agents work solo, some work with a partner, and others work as part of a team made up of several members. If you’re dealing with an agent team, find out what the various team members are responsible for and who you’ll be dealing with for each stage of the process.
- If they have any reviews. These days, reviews rule. Ask your prospective agent if they can direct you toward any online ratings and reviews. If they don’t participate in review sites, ask for past clients you can reach out to.
- Their tech competency. Technology is playing an increasingly important role in the home-buying and -selling process. Check out your agent’s social media sites, what mobile technology they'll incorporate to facilitate the process, and how they use digital documents and web-based programs to keep the process running smoothly.
You should also select an agent with whom you have great chemistry. You will be close allies in the process of finding and securing your home, so a great relationship matters a lot.
Contact me today for more tips on choosing a real estate agent to guide you through the process.
Published with permission from RISMedia.